Wednesday, August 22, 2012

First day of Kindergarten

As if we don't have enough going on around here, on Monday I walked my oldest to Kindergarten.

This darling girl.


Do you know what you get when you combine postpartum hormones, a mother already prone to strong emotions, and the milestone of your first child going to her first day of "real" school? TEARS. Not as many as I would have expected, because I knew that wouldn't exactly help Sam, but I did well-up quite a few times that morning and even had to compose myself in a corner of her classroom once. I was glad I stashed some kleenex in my pocket, and I was thankful I could hide behind my sunglasses.

The time I really had to keep from losing it was when I had a quiet moment in my room with Sam just before we left the house for school. She was so excited and so adorable in her sparkly Hello Kitty shoes and I wanted to say so much to her. I wanted to grab her sweet face and burst out with  "you are so ready," "you just go be you and you'll do great," "you are smart and beautiful and kind and fun and sensitive and they are lucky to have you in that class," "I am so excited for you to start down this beautiful road of growing and learning." Etc. Etc. Etc.

Instead, I wisely just choked out "I love you, honey" because really those are the words she needed to hear on her big day...and every big day that will follow.

Here we go.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...